CALL FOR PAPERS
The Costume Society of American’s Northeastern Region invites paper submissions for their upcoming Fall 2013
Backward, Moving Forward: Costume and Material Culture in the Past, Present, and Future.
The past and future have always been alluring topics for those working in the present. The study of costume and related artifacts,
alongside archives, film, literature, diaries, and ephemera provide an array of possible frameworks from which to study the past
and its connection to the future. This symposium will explore how history is redefined in light of new technologies by exploring
the stories that objects from the past can tell us about the people who owned them, and the societies in which they lived.
We invite curators, designers, industry professionals, researchers, scholars, and students to submit abstracts that offer diverse
perspectives and address a wide range of topics related to costume and fashion studies.
Possible topics include:
• Examples of historical or cultural dress as designer inspiration
• Use of past technologies to encourage subcultural styles, such as Steampunk
• Questions related to the direction of 21st century fashion
• Developments in costume storage, conservation, and preservation
• Ways in which present culture appropriates the past utilizing modern technologies
• Technological innovations in fashion and textile design
• Object based studies that seek to contextualize costume and related artifacts
Abstracts should be no more than 300 words and submitted to
by June 15, 2013.